Thursday, September 6, 2012

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins





           The novel, The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins is a thrilling book that touches on the concepts of survival and love. It takes place in a country called Panem, and each of the 12 districts has to send one boy and one girl from ages twelve to eighteen for the annual Hunger Games, a death fight on live TV. The traditional rule is that the game goes on until there is only one person left, and the district he or she belongs to gets rewards for his or her victory.
           Overall, Collins does a good job on including details that reveal the characters’ personalities. From District 12, Primrose Everdeen and Peeta Mellark are originally chosen to be tributes. However, Prim’s older sister, Katniss, takes place of her dearly beloved sister and joins Peeta. Katniss’s action reveals her bravery, care and love towards Prim and how strong she is as a person. Her decision to participate in the Hunger Games changes her fate of coming back alive or dead.
            There are many remarkable scenes in the novel. The one that came to my mind immediately was when Katniss and Peeta decide to eat poisonous berries after the rule change. When they are the last ones left, Claudius Templesmith, the announcer of the Hunger Games, announces that there can only be one winner instead of two, which was the previous rule. However, Katniss and Peeta do not follow it because their love towards each other is stronger than their desire to win and bring back goods for the district.
            The Hunger Games is truly a well-written story, and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I am usually into chick flick books, and to be honest, I did not know if I would be interested enough to finish the book; all I heard was that it is amazing. After finishing the novel, I understood why it was so popular, and it made me want to read the second and third book. I think all people can enjoy this novel, and I recommend watching the movie as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment